Tip -

You can click on any image in the blog to view it larger.

Thursday, January 14, 2021

Jack's lab results...

We took Jack to the vet yesterday because he just hasn’t seemed like himself lately. He’s been drinking a ton of water, going outside like once an hour and then heads straight back to the water bowl. It’s just a vicious cycle and had us concerned. The vet said they can run the labs in house but it would just be negative vs positive and if they send them off, they’ll get actual numbers back to help us with his diagnosis. So I got the call on my way home today. The doctor was on the phone with me for my 30 minute drive. Jack’s glucose shouldn’t be higher than 114, his was 630. Then he said “I wish this was as simple as me saying ok, that’s it, come in and I’ll show you how to administer the insulin shots, but that’s just the first thing we found.” Then my heart sank. • Sodium is low (signs of kidney disease) • Potassium is high (can indicate kidney failure • Protein is high (relates to liver, kidneys and infectious diseases) • ALP, which should be no higher than 160 was 2017 (indicating Cushing disease) • Triglycerides were 379 (norm is high of 150) • Lipase was 544 (normal high is 250) indicating pancreatitis • cPL was 627 (shouldn’t be higher than 200) indicating pancreatic inflammation • T4 was low (indicating hypothyroidism) • They mentioned that his kidneys appeared to be stressed They are definitely diagnosing him with Type II diabetes which will require 2 shots of insulin per day and possibly Cushing disease. He was already diagnosed with a heart murmur and Pancreatitis. Our next step is to have an ultrasound done this week to look for an adrenal tumor. If one is present, he said we may consider declining treatment for any of the conditions as the expectancy is 2-3 months. If a tumor is not found, we’ll begin aggressive treatment of diabetes and Cushing. My poor little guy. :( Phoebe saw that I was upset when I got home and she made sure to work her magic and cheer me up in addition to lots of hugs. I love that kid. Update 1/14: Ultrasound is now scheduled for Jan 22nd so we're going to start him on insulin today to try and get his glucose levels down.




No comments: